The cryptocurrency maintained its bullish momentum on Thursday, with most major currencies trading up by more than 3 percent on the day. Here’s a look at some of the headlines that were moving the cryptocurrency market today and which currencies were on the move.
Goldman Sachs Group, Inc (NYSE: GS) officially announced it’s opening a cryptocurrency trading desk. In an interview with the New York Times, executive Rana Yared said she “would not describe myself as a true believer who wakes up thinking bitcoin will take over the world.” In November, Goldman CEO Lloyd Blankfein said “maybe bitcoin is a kind of bubble.”
Despite enthusiasm for blockchain technology among cryptocurrency investors, a new survey by Gartner revealed very few chief information officers in the corporate world are actually considering utilizing the technology that underlies many cryptos. Among those surveyed, only 1 percent of CIOs said their company had already adopted some form of blockchain technology, 8 percent said they’re planning on experimenting with blockchain tech in the near future and 77 percent said they have no interest in blockchain and/or no intention of exploring its use.
In an interview with Fortune, Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian predicted Ethereum prices would hit $15,000 by the end of 2018 and bitcoin prices would reach $20,000 this year. Ethereum prices jumped 12 percent on Thursday after Ohanian said he’s particularly bullish on Ethereum because “people are actually building on it.”
The Bitcoin Investment Trust (OTC: GBTC) traded at $15.53, up 7.5 percent.
Here’s how several top crypto investments fared Thursday. Prices are as of 3:45 p.m. ET and reflect the previous 24 hours.
- Bitcoin gained 5.7 percent to $9,654;
- Ethereum gained 12.4 percent to $761;
- Ripple gained 3.6 percent to 88 cents;
- Bitcoin Cash gained 2.9 percent to $1,492;
- EOS gained 2.3 percent to $18.18.
The three cryptocurrencies with at least $1-million market caps that have made the biggest gains over the past 24 hours are:
- GCN Coin: $7.4-million market cap, 145.7-percent gain.
- BitcoinDark: $317.1-million market cap, 142.0-percent gain.
- BritCoin: $2.0-million market cap, 119.1-percent gain.
The three cryptocurrencies hit hardest in the past 24 hours were:
- SmileyCoin: $1.0-million market cap, 50.9-percent decline.
- InflationCoin: $1.0-million market cap, 33.4-percent decline.
- AurumCoin: $10.0-million market cap, 25.2-percent decline.
Today In Cryptocurrency: London Calling Bitcoin Cash, Investment Bank Predicts 90% Crash
From Acquisitions To New Hires, Coinbase Has Been Busy
See more from Benzinga
- Bank Of America Lowers Industrial Machinery Price Targets Across The Board
- This Day In Market History: New York Times Article Suggests Cancer Cure By Year 2000
- Analysts Defend Esperion As Shares Sell Off Sharply
© 2018 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.